Butter Milk Rusks Whole Meal
25 min prep ± 4 hours
1kg whole wheat flour
2 cups granulated sugar (May need to cut back this quantity according to taste)
3teaspoons baking powder
1. Mix flour, baking powder and sugar.
2. Melt the margarine and beat in buttermilk until creamy.
3. Add to dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Press into greased (I use non stick spray)baking sheet, pressing until it reaches all over.
5. Bake at 180°C for 45 minutes.
6. Cut into fingers and spread out over 2 baking trays.
7. Dry in a 100°C oven for 2-4 hours.
N.B. I make these in France and I use Farine de blé for the whole wheat flour and as I was unable to get buttermilk (babeurre) from the local supermarkets I used a low fat crème fraiche instead. The result was delicious but a little sweet so maybe if using French sugar 1½ cups would be plenty. I suspect the sugar is a finer granulation than what we are used to. The rusks dried particularly well.