Steamed Mussels with Wine, Garlic and Parsley
Allow just over an hour for preparation.
Cooking time less than 10 mins
500g/1lb 2oz live mussels
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 shallots, finely chopped
200ml dry white wine
large handful chopped parsley
tablesp olive oil
1. Remove the beards from the mussels, To de-beard gently but firmly pull out the byssus, or group of fine threads that hang from their shells & remove any loose barnacles. Not all mussels have these beards.
2. Place in cold water and after about 1 hour throw away any that may have opened.
3. Add the olive oil to a pan and put in the garlic and shallots, fry gently to soften only then add the wine and bring to the boil, allow to boil for about 2 minutes to take out the alcohol. This will not remove the flavour!
4. Add half of the parsley and the mussels, cover and allow the shells to steam open, this will take around 3-4 minutes, discard any that don't open.
5. Add the rest of the parsley and serve in deep wide bowls.