Fish Pie Recipe
Serves 4 to 5 servings
500-800g (1lb.1oz - 1lb.8 ozs) White fish, (I use 500gr white fish and 300 gr mixed shell fish)
6 medium-large potatoes peeled and quartered. (Milk and butter for mashing)
1 tin of button mushrooms or fresh if you like.
500ml parsley sauce.
The milk left from cooking the fish,
Handful of chopped parsley or a couple of table spoons of dry
60grams (2 ozs) butter
3 tablespoons plain flour
1 teaspoon mixed herbs
Freshly ground pepper
- Hard boil the eggs. I put the eggs into cold water, bring to fast boil, cover the pan and switch off the heat. Wait 9 to 12 minutes (9 for medium, 12 for extra-large) then drain of hot water and run cold water through until the eggs are cool. Peel and chop
- Boil the potatoes.
- Remove the skin from the fish and cut into bite size pieces, place in a saucepan and add enough milk to just cover the fish.
- Heat the fish and milk, stirring occasionally, until the milk starts to boil. At this point, turn the heat off, cover with a lid and leave for 10 minutes. The fish will be suitably cooked after this time.
- Remove the fish from the pan and keep the milk to make the parsley sauce with later.
- Flake the fish into a reasonably large oven dish, removing any bones if there are any.
- Add the chopped egg to the fish mixture mixing well. Add tinned mushrooms and mix well. If using fresh mushrooms cook lightly first.
- Make parsley sauce using the milk kept from cooking the fish. Heat the butter till melted, take off the heat and add the flour and herbs, mix well. Put back on the heat and add the milk stirring all the time until it thickens.
- Pour enough sauce over the fish and egg mixture to moisten and mix in. I generally find I need it all!
- Mash the potatoes with butter and milk, and then spoon over the fish, egg, mushrooms and parsley sauce mixture.
- Place in a medium oven (180ºC -350ºF) until browned for about ½ to ¾ of an hour.
- Serve with the remaining parsley sauce if you have any and vegetables in season
Note 1: Grated cheese over the top of the potato is a nice option, and/or add a few slices of fresh tomato. Diane
Note 2. I sometimes add a couple of grated cloves of garlic to the parsley sauce for extra flavour. Diane
This was a really nice dish and very light meal.